Distutils2 proposal for GSOC
by Tarek Ziadé
EDIT 2010-03-28 : Started a detailed list here http://wiki.python.org/moin/SummerOfCode/Distutils2
The Google Summer of Code will be happening again this year, and I am going to propose a project under the PSF : Distutils2.
If you are a student and you are interested in building with me the replacer of Distutils, this is an opportunity to contribute to an Open Source project !
A finite and detailed list of tasks will be defined just before the proposals deadline, to avoid proposing a project that is too vague or to make it impossible to rate the student at mid-term. This list will be built at the last moment, because I am unable right now to know exactly what will be the state of Distutils2 this summer.
But here’s a taste of what the student will work on:
- work on the implementation of PEP 376
- finish the implementation of the static metadata (that is the “no more setup.py” subproject 😉 )
- work on a “configure” command that will generate a configuration file other commands can read back and use.
- write a tutorial on how to use Distutils2
- promote and evangelize Distutils2 – This will consist of helping python project to switch/adopt Distutils2. We will define a list of targets and the student will be in charge of helping them switching to Distutils2 if they want.
If you are interested, be sure to join the mailing list and stay tuned !